Friday, May 13, 2005

Penne Pasta Dish

This is 'what's for dinner' Monday night. I used to make it ALL the time -- super easy to throw together, and, yes, my kids actually eat zuchini AND red bell peppers in this! (Thrifty hint -- buy red bell peppers when they are on sale. Not on sale they can run up to $2/each! Keep them in the freezer, then just slice them frozen with a good knife)

1/2 pound Italian sausage
1 garlic clove, minced
1 zuchini, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 c. mushrooms, sliced
1/2 c. frozen peas
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, Italian style
1/2 lb. penne pasta, prepared as directed
4 oz. sour cream

Brown sausage in large 10"-12" skillet. Add garlic clove, saute' for 30-60 seconds (I think the original recipe called for onions, too -- but we're not big on onions here). Add all other veggies and continue to saute' until 'crisp-tender', about 5 minutes. Add can of diced tomatoes, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (while this is simmering, you can be boiling your penne pasta). Stir in cooked pasta (at this point I have to transfer it all to the pasta pot, running out of room in my skillet) then the sour cream until hot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This recipe is so incredibly AWESOME. Sarah shared it with me last summer. Because of all the veggies, it made me feel clean just eating it! Plus the sausage spices made it GREAT!!! I tried it with chicken once because I was out of sausage. Something was "missing." That something was the spices from the sausage--so if you are "experimentor", make sure to doctor it up if you venture from the Italian sausage.

Roxanne