Saturday, May 07, 2005

Faux Focaccia

Got the idea for this from Rachel Ray's 30-Minute Meals (the TV show, although I currently have the book checked out). She used it as a pizza crust -- my family uses it to PIG out on!

1 refrigerated roll of Pillsbury Italian bread dough
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Rosemary

Preheat oven to 425*. Cut in half, unroll, and spread in bottom of 8x8 casserole dish that you have put about 1 TBSP. of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the bottom of (LOTS is great). It won't fit -- just kind of keep folding it over to make it fit. Put in the 2nd half the same way. Puncture the top of the dough with a fork several times, then put another TBSP. (or so) of EVOO on the top. Sprinkle the top of the dough with salt, pepper, and Rosemary (I personally like lots of salt, but it's a personal preference). Put in oven until golden brown (I THINK about 20-25 minutes, but I lose track!) The EVOO will still be sitting on top, but allow the bread to sit for a few minutes after you take it out of the oven -- it just soaks right into the bread making it EXTRA yummy! For calorie counters, it's a definite don't ask, don't tell dish! Rip apart and dig in!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! Here's another tip: Sam's sells uncooked pizza dough by the case at the deli. They come in round balls of dough that freeze very well.
Take out one at a time and let it rise throughout the day for homemade pizza that night. It would probably work for your focaccia bread recipe as well. Thanks for this blog. I'm trying great recipes already!
Robin Saylor

Sarah said...

Thanks, Robin -- I checked into that. Actually, that's what Rachel Ray used on the show (pizza dough) but I couldn't find any, so I used the refrigerated italian bread.

Lesson learned -- thought that the Rhodes frozen dough would make a really good focaccia bread. Not really (it probably didn't help that it cooked while we were at a baseball game and got a little too done). Anyway -- I was way happier with my refrigerated dough.