Friday, May 13, 2005

Melanie’s Chicken Pie

from Mignon

Pastry for a 2-crust pie*
6 Tblsp butter or margarine
6 Tblsp flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1-3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped **

Melt the butter; add flour and seasonings. Let bubble. Add liquids and cook slowly until thickened. Add chicken. Pour into pastry-lined pan. Top with rest of pastry. Pinch edges together. Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes. Yield: 4 (generous) servings

*I use Pillsbury Pie crust in the refrigerator section.
**If I cook my own chicken, I cook it in water with celery, onion, salt, and Tony’s or some sort of Cajun seasoning. If I use canned chicken (which works pretty well), I season it with Tony’s before adding it to the mixture. Two 10-ounce cans is slightly more than 2 cups of chicken, so I use the two cans for each recipe that I make.

Serve with fruit salad (I really like pear halves topped with mayo and grated cheese) and any green veggie that your family will eat.

5/13/2005 10:16 PM

No comments: