Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Easy Roast Beef

Roxanne
If you own a crock pot, you can make this. . .it cooks itself. You have to start it in the morning, but if you know ahead of time you have a booger of a day coming, you will be prepared. I have also cooked it overnight and served it for lunch. The "secret" ingredient would make my Daddy cringe, but Momma has made it for him this way and he is none-the-wiser!

Buy a roast beef--doesn't matter what cut
Trim the fat
Dump salt and pepper all over it and seer (seer=small amount of oil in a skillet--about half an inch deep--heat the oil, put the meat in and cook all sides until just brown to lock in the juices)
Put the seered meat in your crock pot
Make THREE packages of instant brown gravy (I use Pioneer Brown Gravy mix). Just follow the directions on the package.
Pour that on top of your meat.
Turn on low and cook all day (about 6 hours) until meat is fork tender.

This tastes like what your Granny made. . .the meat juices cook into the packaged gravy and makes a "perfect" gravy every time.

Serve with salad, bread, and veggies

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray Sarah! Thanks for the recipe blog. I am thrilled already and I haven't even copied any recipes yet. I look forward to having a minute to put in a few of my own. Maybe after the play is over and I get back to my REAL life.

Happy Cooking,

Jana Beck