Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Fix It and Freeze It

Did you hear? I have a job that starts the same day that school starts. The only part of this working thing that fills me with dread is working all day and coming home and looking into their antsy, hungry little eyes asking, "What's for dinner?" (I like to answer, "We're having 'yuk, I hate that'" since that is the general reply I get). On very rare, on-the-ball moments for me I have been known to spend the better part of a Saturday cooking things to freeze for later. Let's post recipes that will freeze well. I like to do 'big doin's' cooking one day a week and double the recipe so that I can freeze part of it. I'll jump in with one that my whole family likes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Recipe...we call it "MawMaw's Spagetti" b/c my MawMaw always made it and we have no idea where the recipe originally came from.

In skillet, saute hamburger meat just like you would for spagetti.

In a saucepan add 1/2 block of Velveeta cheese(chop it up so it will melt faster), 1 can cream of mushroom soup, and one can of tomato soup. I like to also add extra mushrooms, but not everyone likes mushrooms! Heat until all melted and blended together.

Boil pasta, and add sause and meat! Voila! Awesome MawMaw's spagetti! We love it, especially with toast instead of garlic bread! yeah, we are cheap! :)

Enjoy!

Tammy M. said...

Anne that sounds so good. I am making it tonight!
Tammy

Robyn said...

Thanks so much!!!! My family LOVED MawMaw's spaghetti!

Now here is one of our favories and it freezes beautifully.

Chicken and Rice
1 (6.2-ounce) package fast-cooking long-grain and wild rice mix
2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
1 (8-ounce) package fresh mushroom slices
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
2/3 cup (reduced fat or no fat)Italian dressing
1 (8-ounce) container lite sour cream

Cook rice in a large saucepan according to package directions, using 2 cans chicken broth instead of water. Add mushrooms before the last 5 minutes.
Stir in chicken, dressing, and sour cream; spoon into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes.


Robyn

Robyn said...

Oops that should be two packages of rice!!!!