Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Laundry Detergent

I've actually taken to making my own laundry detergent. Yada, yada, environmentally-safe. More importantly, it's CHEAP!

Found the recipe here and wanted to put it somewhere I could find it!

So... that link is currently broken (gone?) so here is the recipe as I remember it:

1 cup Borax
1 cup Arm and Hammer WASHING (not Baking) Soda
1 Bar Laundry Soap, grated (I use Fals-Neptha)
1/4 cup "laundry booster" (optional) (Oxi-Clean)

Some of my thoughts/ notes:

Go ahead and buy several bars of the Fals-Neptha soap. Drug Emporium is the only place I have found them. I make a triple batch every time I make it. Also, USE THE CUISINART to grate the soap. I did it the 'old fashioned way' one time. Awful and do not recommend that.

So far, I've made 7 batches of this, for a total of about $12. (Still have some Borax left, but the 'laundry booster' will only make it 7 batches). That is lasting me about half-again as long as a $18 box of Tide. It's a little bit of a mess to make, but worth it to me!

No comments: