Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Penne Pasta

I didn't realize that I have already posted this recipe here. But on this post I will alter it for freezing. It is SO easy to make, and SO easy to double that I freeze half of the sauce and then only have to boil some noodles later.

I used to make this ALL the time -- super easy to throw together, and, yes, my kids actually eat zuchini AND red bell peppers in this! (Thrifty hint -- buy red bell peppers when they are on sale. Not on sale they can run up to $2/each! Keep them in the freezer, then just slice them frozen with a good knife)

1 pound Italian sausage
2 garlic clove, minced
1 large zuchini, diced
1 largered bell pepper, diced
1 c. mushrooms, sliced
1 c. frozen peas
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes, Italian style
1/2 lb. penne pasta, prepared as directed
4 oz. sour cream

Brown sausage in large 10"-12" skillet. Add garlic clove, saute' for 30-60 seconds (I think the original recipe called for onions, too -- but we're not big on onions here). Add all other veggies and continue to saute' until 'crisp-tender', about 5 minutes. Add can of diced tomatoes, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (while this is simmering, you can be boiling your penne pasta). At this point I divide the sauce in half. I let one half cool and later pour into a gallon-size Ziploc bag. The other half I continue as follows: Stir in cooked pasta (at this point I have to transfer it all to the pasta pot, running out of room in my skillet) then the sour cream until hot. When you thaw and heat the sauce next time, you will (again) need 1/2 lb. penne pasta (I let the sauce heat in a skillet while the pasta boils) and the 4 oz. sour cream. Easy dish from the freezer -- no chopping this time!

No comments: