Thursday, March 17, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

After posting this and linking to this, I dug through more comments and found a recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent.

If I can spend less money and still get clean dishes, I'm all about it!

1/3 cup Borax
1/3 cup Washing Soda (not baking soda)
1/3 cup salt
4 envelopes lemon kool-aid, unsweetened ( or citric acid)–each envelope only costs 8 cents
Using a funnel, add the above ingredients to a 32 oz plastic bottle with a lid (I use an old white vinegar bottle). Add just enough warm water to cover ingredients, cap and shake well. Mixture will foam–release lid to let Co2 escape. Add more water, shake. Continue until bottle is full. Mixture will smell like a lemon drop. Fill dispenser with the mix; shake before each use. I use white vinegar in my rinse aid dispenser.

*(all of the above was copied and pasted. I have yet to try any of this. I do know you can buy plain citric acid in many pharmacies).

1 comment:

Wendy said...

all the ingredients are powders. Surely you can just try mixing them dry? I have used a mix of Borax and bicarb soda when I have bene out of dishwashing liquid. It worked OK.